Thursday, January 27, 2011

Elixir- Hilary Duff

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Page Count: 330
Format: Hardcover
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing

Synopsis:

Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. The daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington DC politician, she has grown to be a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world. But after Clea’s father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, Clea’s photos begin to feature eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beautiful man—a man she has never seen before.
When fate brings Clea and this man together, she is stunned by the immediate and powerful connection she feels with him. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father’s disappearance, and they discover the centuries old truth behind their intense bond. Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fates, together they race against time to unravel their pasts in order to save their lives—and their futures.



I wanted to read this book purely because it was written by Hilary Duff... then it turns out she wrote it with someone else! Oh well. Poor Elise Allen gets no recognition.

Anyway.. This cover is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. (Mine is even better because my boyfriend wrapped it in Christmas paper that had glitter on it.. so now the book is all glittery too. It suits it.)

Switching from Shadowfever to this one was quite the change. First of all, the font size! Oh man, the font in this book is huge. Not to mention the borders/margins of the pages take up a surprising amount of space. Compared to Shadowfever, I read this one in a flash.

There is a lot about this book that wasn't fleshed out enough. I'm not thoroughly convinced about the relationship between Clea and Sage. It just doesn't seem to be all that special. And I don't really get Ben's role in it all that much either.

Also.. I don't really buy the whole.. "let's just let a 17-year-old girl whose mom is a super famous politician go to all these random, dangerous places around the world just to take pictures to submit under a pseudonym" thing. I know she has Ben as her "bodyguard", but I still don't think it would happen. And isn't she supposed to be home schooled? How is she home schooled if her mom is never home? She started off the novel with her winter break ending, so wouldn't that mean she would have to go back to school? There was no mention of it after that.

So besides some obvious plot holes, and the story being pretty predictable, I did enjoy it for what it is. It was a light, fun read, and odds are I'll read the second one. I just hope that it clears up some of the confusion, and also that Sage stops being an idiot.

Overall Rating: 2.75/5 stars. (It's reeeally close to a 3. Just not quite there)

See for yourself: Elixir

3 comments:

Truly Bookish said...

I was drawn in by the pretty cover too but there is so much about this book that I did not care for: all the stuff you mentioned and more. I will just have to read your review of the sequel because I can't see myself picking it up...
NC
http://trulybookish.blogspot.com/

Lilli said...

Wooooow I can't believe you rated it so highly! I think you may enjoy my review of this book.
http://lillilovesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/01/elixir.html

Definitely will NOT be reading the sequel.

Carissa said...

I have to admit that I'm always a little dubious about reading fiction written by celebrities because more than likely the got a book deal because they are celebrities and not because they have successfully honed their talent as a writer.


I'm not sure if I'll ever pick this one up, but it's good to have an honest opinion. Thanks for sharing!


My Booking It Through Thursday

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...